Mystery dater

mid-30's, single, some say attractive, now in chicago. the trials and tribulations of dating from my perspective.

Saturday, February 03, 2007

is this a c-o-n spiracy?

(points to anyone who knows what movie that title line is from...)

well, i wish i had more to report.

never heard from the gas station guy referenced in my last post.

and here's a sample of my experiences on match thus far:
1) first guy i e-mail with: sends me his number in response to my message (unsolicited), i call him once and leave a nice message, he never calls me back. now his profile is hidden.
2) another guy i e-mail with, interested in what kind of movies i like and the work i do, proposes a coffee date, asks me what days would work for me, i send him a few possible days, never hear back from him. now his profile is hidden.
3) most recently, i wink at a guy, he writes back that he'd rather talk than e-mail, sends me his number, a little phone tag and then we finally talk, have a great conversation (i've actually met his high school math teacher in the course of my grad school research, who apparently was a bad teacher when this fellow was in high school and i confirm that 20 years later he still is pretty lousy at his chosen profession, lots of laughter ensues), he says he wants to meet up when he gets back from being away over the weekend and says he'll call when he returns. that was over a week ago, haven't heard from him.

and, for me, the piece de resistance, i have an e-mail flirtation/music exchange with a nice, single, smart, tall, cute, 36 year old funny gentleman in the same line of work as me...he comes to where i work with a big group of visitors, i'm feeling a bit of a flirty vibe from him...but in the end, there is really nothing there. i'm kinda bummed about that, though the experience reminded me how important it is to keep my expectations in check. that one seemed like it might have had potential, but ah well.

i know i don't have a ton of patience, but it's hard sometimes when i feel like other folks are successfully pursuing relationships and starting families and i feel like i'm being left behind. i try to keep those feelings in check and remember all the wonderful things in my life. but sometimes it's hard, that's all. but i'm trying to find new things to do that i enjoy (hopefully this will be one of them) and we shall see what the universe has in store for me.

in the meantime, if anyone has a theory about the match-dot-com-spiracy i seem to be experiencing, feel free to share.

~md

2 Comments:

  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger David said…

    You're doing TNT? That's great!

    I know the "left behind" feeling. Sometimes I tell myself I'll be OK even if I never find someone (and I suppose, in some sense, I will), but other times it drives me near out of my head.

    In the mean time, I think there's comfort to be found in focusing on being the best DT (or Dr. J, as the case may be) that one can be.

    Just a thought.

     
  • At 11:00 AM, Blogger Felicia the Geeky Blogger said…

    Today I bought that biography of the girl that said yes to every date she was asked on in a year....I am hoping it clears up some of the "dating" mysteries that I don't understand.

    I had the same thing happen. This guy and I set up a date, had to reschedule, and now he just dropped off the planet. My other to Match dates were "ok" but neither of them were quite what they "billed" to be. I am keeping my hopes up, have 2 more months on my subscription :)

    Oh and on the TNT...wow and congrats :) That should be something good to focus on!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home