Mystery dater

mid-30's, single, some say attractive, now in chicago. the trials and tribulations of dating from my perspective.

Monday, January 01, 2007

um, happy new year?

so, faithful readers (all four of you... : ),

after 7 months of only getting about half of what I want from E (companionship, physical affection but no commitment/future), I finally decided to end it. for real. the saturday before christmas. (seeing his active profile on match.com looking for women aged 21-26 kinda sealed the deal!) i went two weeks without talking to him, deleted his digits from my phone, and felt really good about my decision and my ability to stick to it. (being on the east coast surely helped a bit.)

so as a "start the new year on a positive, forgiving note" (not as an opening salvo to start this thing up again), i sent a nice, brief e-mail, making a joke that the sports gods seem to be looking favorably upon our parting as both of our favored football teams have risen up and are now playoff contenders. (i'd estimate that, in total, we spent about four of the seven months we dated watching sports together.) and wishing him a happy new year of course.

so this is the reply i receive today:

J,

Our parting is for the best. You need to find who you are looking for.

And I am still very much in love with (my ex-girlfriend).

Looking back, I jumped into the dating pool far too soon after she and
I split up. And, then, I jumped back into being her friend far sooner
than I could be, just her friend.

I have some work to do on my life.

I wish you a very happy, healthy, love-filled, New Year.

When someone exudes good energy and love the way you do, love has a way
of finding you.

E

Nice sentiment at the end there...but he doesn't inform me of these feelings until after I've broken up with him after 7 months of dating???? WTF? well, just HUGE reassurance that I made the right decision, but not the reply I was expecting! and here i thought his broken engagement 6 years ago was the reason for his apparent commitment-phobia. ah well.

on to the next contestant....jeremy from minneapolis, come on down!

more soon...

~md

3 Comments:

  • At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't forget us "ghost readers". You have no idea how many of us are out here. ;)

     
  • At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    um, if he is still not over his ex and shouldn't be dating, what is he doing on match? what an ass.

     
  • At 2:23 PM, Blogger Jonna* said…

    Bartender... just leave the bottle.

    Ugh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home