Mystery dater

mid-30's, single, some say attractive, now in chicago. the trials and tribulations of dating from my perspective.

Monday, August 07, 2006

things that never happen

ok, this is classic.

so after a rousing game of texas hold 'em with some very good friends on saturday night, i wasn't quite ready for the evening to be over yet. (i'm at the tail end of some much-needed vacation so i wanted to squeeze out as much fun as possible!) i decided to swing by our new favorite spot and see if there were any familiar faces...and of course there were. for better or for worse, it's nice to have a real neighborhood bar (it's like our version of cheers, except instead of Sam we get Leyton!). Anyway, I'm just reppin' PA as I am wont to do lately, and i feel a tap on my shoulder. i look over and see a familar face -- well, a face that was familiar a few weeks ago that i hadn't seen or thought of much since then...i.e., the last thought i had of said individual was "that f*er never called me back. didn't make him for a player. ah well, whatever." he looks me right in the eye and says "You! You! Unbelievable!" and I'm like, "huh?" so in retort, i say, "me?? I called you, just like I said I was going to, left a message for you with my number and you NEVER called me back!" he's all "no you didn't!" so i bust out the cell phone to show him -- here is your name, the number you gave me -- why would i still have it if i had no intention of calling you? he looks at the phone and smiles, a bit sheepishly. "um, that number is off by one digit."

HI-larious. how many times have i wondered, maybe he didn't call because he got hit by a bus/came down with pneumonia/he transposed digits in my phone number? 99% of the time those excuses are just that, excuses. but in this case, that actually happened! so funny. he even called me later that night just to verify that we had exchanged valid digits. who knows if this will lead anywhere, but it certainly makes for a good story.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you have the patience of a saint. i'm all to accepting of the possible "death or dismemberment" alternatives and will call, you know, again, just in case. being that I so easily tranpose #'s i've taken to asking them to dial me on the spot so I can save and they do the same. I only got that idea when a dude told me to do so he could save my digits (old high school friend, no potential)

    that said, i've never been picked up EVER so most of this talking straight out of my ass. I admire your style is all :) THAT said, my fella is outta town for the next 3 weeks. I would love to hang out sometime and see this smoothness in action!

     
  • At 12:15 PM, Blogger zombie squirrels said…

    bananas! that's so funny.

    I'm with Jenjer - we need to hang out soon. I've been sequestering myself too much and need to get out with my friends.

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger David said…

    Sweet. He stayed away just long enough for me to get the Pete Yorn tickets... my evil get-into-your-cell-phone-and-change-his-number plan seems to have worked...

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger j said…

    You guys are the best, love when comments to the blog make me smile or laugh out loud. JJ, we have to bring you to the Bluefoot, or as I call it, "the Den of Iniquity" so you can see the girls in action. : ) You can come too, MS.

    And DT, your spell may have worked a little too well...I called him on Sunday night (per his instructions!) and as of 7:45p on Tues he still has not called me back. After all that! Oy vey. xoxoox md

     

Post a Comment

<< Home