Mystery dater

mid-30's, single, some say attractive, now in chicago. the trials and tribulations of dating from my perspective.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

jinx! buy me a coke

god dammit.

riddle me this, batman. he calls tuesday, i call wednesday, he calls thursday, date is set for friday. date around 8:30 on friday evening. cool.

i decide to attend a work-charity-fun thing starting at 7, thinking I can leave by 8 or 8:15. he calls just before eight, i miss the call but call back in about 10 minutes. voicemail. no call back. i call again at 9:30. voicemail. i don't leave a message. my friends text me that they are out at a bar which happens to be in this fellow's neighborhood. i call at 10p to say that's where i'm going. no answer or call back.

WTF???????????

was i stood up? did he fall asleep? did he go out on a date with someone else? should i even care? all i know is that i'm bummed and disappointed and i feel foolish for sharing my perceived good fortune (i have a third date with a cute guy tonight! : ) with a few friends and colleagues.

damn damn damn. dating sucks. i often feel like i'm repenting for the sins of some HORRIBLE person i must have been in a previous life. because the me in this life surely doesn't deserve all this. perhaps he'll call tomorrow with a rationale that will make it all better. but my thing is, if your free nights are limited (the person in question has a child), you don't just fall asleep or forget or whatever. the hit of adrenaline you get when you are excited to see someone sustains you. maybe i'm just looking at it from the 30-something single female with no kids perspective, but it still seems odd.

i'll keep you posted...but in the meantime, take it easy on me. i may not want to talk about it.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WTF???????????!!!!!! is right! Jesus Fucking Christ! what is wrong with people?!

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger zombie squirrels said…

    All I can say is that a lot of people are flakes and don't know how to handle dating/relationship stuff. And of that group, a lot of us happen to be men (but I've certainly met my share of flaky women). I take this stuff really personally, too, so I know how you feel, but you have to realize that it's them, not you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home