Mystery dater

mid-30's, single, some say attractive, now in chicago. the trials and tribulations of dating from my perspective.

Monday, July 28, 2008

A.D.D.

In this case, ADD = Another Dating Disaster (thanks, Carrie Bradshaw, for that...)

Here's one for you.

Guy writes to me on Yahoo. His headline: “Intelligent man seeks brilliant woman!” 39, 6'4", degrees in physics and engineering from a reputable state school, interested in meeting someone "who is caring, very intelligent, and funny," and who says he believes that "you really need to meet someone in person -- I don't believe profiles really tell you that much."

We exchange a few promising-seeming emails, he sends his #, I call and leave a message. Later that same evening he texts me. Odd, but OK I guess. Here is the conversation:

Him: Are you free for drinks this week?
Me: Sure...Tues or Thurs...how does your week look?
Him: How about Thursday? Promise to wear a sexy outfit for when we meet?
Me: (becoming a little concerned) We'll see...gotta leave some things for the imagination. Will you call with a plan at some point, Mr. Engineer?
Him: Only if you wear a short skirt...please?
Me: Do you talk to all the girls this way? Even before you've met them?
Him: No, you are just turning me on with your sexy texts.
Me (thinking, "huh?") : Well, I've never set up a first date via text, that's for sure! : )
Him: I must turn you on in a very texty sort of way I would presume.
Me: Perhaps, but I'd rather talk to you.
Him: What are your dimensions?
Me: (perplexed to say the least) Are you looking for a date...or something else altogether?
Him: All of the above!
Me: Just wanted to check. I appreciate your enthusiasm about the physical aspect, but I also really liked that you said you were smart and that you were looking for someone smart.
Him: You never told me your dimensions...
Him: A, B, C or D cup?
Me: These questions are creeping me out a little. It's my belief that you should meet in person and see if there is chemistry. I'm not trying to hide anything, I just don't feel comfortable discussing my body with a complete stranger!

No response...probably ever...and I'm thinking that's OK.

So much for trying to focus on "intelligent" guys...

~md

2 Comments:

  • At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ummmm, wtf? i can't believe he really thought texting naughty stuff to a person you've never met or even talked to was a good way to set up a first date. unbelievable.

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hello chicago!!! I had a few of such encounters in my 6 years there. They leave you thinking "did you text the wrong Jen?" or "this is a joke, yes? I get it. Ha! Can we stop now?"

    Hang in there. There are a lot of toads but way more princes in Chicago. GOOD LUCK!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home