Mystery dater

mid-30's, single, some say attractive, now in chicago. the trials and tribulations of dating from my perspective.

Monday, March 24, 2008

expiration dating?

well, i apologize if this is new news to you, dear reader, but i am headed for greener, colder, humider pastures. yes, it's true, the MD is packing up and heading to the midwest to try her hand at a challenging new job opportunity and to swim in some new dating waters. i'm very excited about this...stay tuned.

in the meantime, i had my second date with my new 50 year old friend last night. and let me tell you, it was a good date. it is so fun to spend time with a man who is intelligent, knowledgeable about politics and the world around us, and who appreciates good food and wine. i'm still aware of our age/generational differences (last night's big word was "heavy," as in "that was a heavy time, man..." ; ) but i really enjoyed myself and felt my attraction to him growing. he was very sweet, out of nowhere he says "I'm not sure about this 'you leaving' thing." it was cute and made me smile.

so we talked about getting together again, and i find myself thinking about him today and realizing i kind of like him...but then i think, what am i doing? i'm out of here in about 3 months. when i was preparing to leave philly for CA almost 10 years ago (!!!), i had the (mis?) fortune of falling crazy in love with a jazz guitarist...that didn't end well. (he said we should stay together and then promptly dumped me once i reached my new home...he was married and a father within 18 months.) not that i think i'm on the path to falling madly in love, but it does feel a little risky to start spending time with someone new now. but i also like the idea of having someone to talk to and have a meal with while i'm dealing with this somewhat challenging phase of my life. and i've been completely honest with him, of course -- he knows my plans.

i think people come into our lives at certain times for a reason, so i don't feel like i should pre-emptively strike this person from my life because i'm headed in a different direction...i think we could be friends, companions, perhaps even romantic partners for the time being and who knows what the future holds for either of us. as long as it doesn't distract me from getting my house and life in order to relocate or pull me away from spending quality time with the people here i love, maybe it will just be OK. a little bob never hurt, right? : )

more soon,

~md

2 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please give my city my love. Treat her well, soak up the architechture, bathe in the history, spend too much time at the Art Institute, eat lots of hot dogs at the Wiener's Circle on Clark... and this being you - I don't need to steer you towards Lou Malnati's.

    I wish you nothing but luck, success and happiness in the central time zone.

    Thank you for all your kindness and love over the years... I will raise my glass to you at MarketBar this October.

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger j said…

    thanks for the kind words, j*. i did not get a spot in nike, so i will be taking the flat road at the chicago half in september. take care of you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home