Mystery dater

mid-30's, single, some say attractive, now in chicago. the trials and tribulations of dating from my perspective.

Monday, February 06, 2006

mr. ambivalent strikes again...

ah yes, there's nothing to launch a blog than a bad date.

my goodness, I've had a few of those recently.

this was new, however.

first date = drinks at a cool place, you are cuter than i expected (even before the first drink!), great conversation, things in common, a few nice surprises (you aren't as conservative as your job might predict! you love your gay uncle!), a ride home. plans for a follow-up date made in the car. a kiss somewhere between the cheek and the lips (i could have sworn you turned your head!).

second date = monday night movie. now, being the experienced dater that i am, I knew Monday was not a great sign. but it was superbowl weekend, yadda yadda. the movie is at 7...it's 6pm and you still haven't called. 6:10. 6:15. Finally, I ring you up. "Hey." "Um, Just checking to see if you're still up for this?" "Yeah, definitely." "OK, well do you want to drive or do you want me to drive?" "Oh, well, I'm already here." YOU'RE WHAT? Nothing says this really isn't a second date than "drive yourself and I'll meet you there." OK....

so we meet at the theater. no hug, barely a glimmer of recognition. we enter the theatre, i go first. i say which movie, she says "1 or 2?" I pause for a second. "One, I guess." Sign number two this is not a date: not even a pretend attempt to pay for the tickets. Now mind you, I'm an independent woman, I make good money, I have no problem paying for things. But the total lack of gesture, coupled with the events leading up to this, are leaving me feeling kinda insulted. Whatever, at least I'm paying to see a movie I'm interested in.

Some chit-chat then the movie starts. It's about 5 times as awkward as the first date! So strange. The movie is good...a love story...all I can think is there is no happy ending in sight here! After the movie and the obligatory bathroom pit stop, he walks me to my car. "Well, give me a call if you want to hang out again sometime."

Not very f*in likely.

I heart dating.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:33 PM, Blogger Jennifer said…

    OK, does the guy work at the movie theater? Is that why he was already there at 6:15pm? The behavioral change & rise in the awkardness level from Date 1 to Date 2 is maddening, but has, of course, been previously documented in the dating research. Why would or should this occur? It's not the natural progression. Inexplicable, I say. Cute or not, haven't a second thought and move on to the next date. Ambivalence is just not attractive.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Blogger j said…

    Right on sista!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home